- Using a standing mixer with whisk attachment, at a medium/low setting beat the starter with water, eggs, oil, vinegar, and yeast.
- Add flour mixture and beat for 2 min. Add salt beat 1 more min.
- Remove whisk, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Move to warm place for 1 ½ hours.
- After it has risen, beat it again for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to 9x5 prepared loaf pan (greased) and place pan in plastic container that is large enough to hold pan and cover it.
- Allow to rise for another 1 ½ hours.
- Set oven to 375º and place bottom of broiler pan in lowest rack in oven. Heat for 30 minutes.
- Dust dough with rice flour and, using a greased bread knife, cut three diagonal slits across the top of loaf.
- Just before baking, add a handful of ice cubes or a cup of cold water to the tray and place the loaf immediately into the steaming oven. After 30 minutes, rotate 180º and bake for another 20-30 minutes. If you notice the loaf getting browner than you like, cover the loaf with aluminum foil for the duration of the baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully, using a butter knife, loosen the bread from the pan. It’s best if you turn the pan on the side and let the steam escape for a few minutes before taking out of the pan. Careful! Steam is REALLY hot.
- Place bread on cooling wrack.
- Once cooled, use a bread knife to cut loaf. Store in freezer. Your bread will last longer this way, and it really tastes best warm or toasted.
Friday, July 6, 2012
Homemade Gluten-Free Bread!
For four weeks, I struggled trying to make gluten-free bread. Instead of having dense, but holey loaves, these could have easily broken windows. Last week and this week, I finally got it right! I am posting a recipe that is a combination of recipes. Some recipes claimed to do one thing, but I found another. So this is a hodge-podge of recipes that I guess I'll call my own! If you have any questions, please post. I'll do the best I can to answer them, as I'm new to this as well. Enjoy!
1 cup brown rice or sorghum flour
½ cup teff flour
½ cup garbanzo bean flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup potato starch or corn starch
2 tsp xanthum gum
Scant T sugar
¾ tsp baking soda
2 oz. sour dough starter (substitute flour with gluten free flour)
2 XL eggs or 3 small
10.5 oz lukewarm tap water
1.9 oz. vegetable oil
¾ scant tsp. apple cider vinegar
Scant 1/8 tsp dry instant yeast
1 ½ tsp salt (last ingredient to be added)
Putting it all together
If you use a bread machine, stop by this link for helpful tips!