Friday, August 3, 2012

Body Lotion: Excellent and Cheap!

I have had dry skin for as long as I can remember and have had to lotion my body after every bath or shower. I have used many different products, and have found that there is not a big difference between the expensive and moderately priced brands. I have found a way to make my skin very soft with just two simple ingredients. First I find a cheap lotion at the Dollar Store that contains urea in it. This ingredient helps to eat away at the red bumps I have on the back of my arms. The second ingredient is PURE (not extra virgin) olive oil.

Here's what I do:  First I create a circle of lotion in the palm of my hand with a hollow in the middle. I then carefully fill in the hollow with the olive oil. The reason I do this is because when I rub my hands together the oil doesn't run down my arms. This method seems to work best.

I then lotion my entire body with the lotion/olive oil mixture. You can add or decrease the amount of olive oil. If you add too much, you might find that your skin is a bit slick. Since mine is dry, it soaks it right up. Then if you are so bold, mix and match some of your favorite essential oils by added just a few drops to the mixture. You may have to make sure you are not allergic to any of the oils first. I found out the hard way with ylang ylang. My favorite combination is a woody sandalwood and sweet orange.

Try it! You'll like it!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Thanks so much, Amy. I absolutely love olive oil for cooking and try to drink a couple tablespoons every day for the omega benefits and for my skin. I can't wait to try out your lotion idea later :)

Amy Whelan said...

You are very welcome, Hannah!