Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Showing" Up For Life

It seems that life is just a series of showing up--day after day. Some days seem like you know the script perfectly, others--not so much.

Today, I will be taking my National Boards for Professional Teaching Standards exam. This will be the third attempt to get it right. Granted, my score has improved (and thank God those are "banked") and all I have to do is show up, be present, and do the best I know how to do.

On Facebook, I had posted on my status for everyone to wish me luck and say prayers for me today when I take my test. The outpouring of good wishes made me feel beyond wonderful. I know I can do this. But one post made more sense to me than ever. My friend (and fellow actor and stage manager) had posted this: "Take a deep breath and focus .... concentrate only on the "show" ... not the "audience" ... you got this role down cold!"   THAT is the key! It seems I focus so much on the outcome, but forget that there's a process. So taking the test will be like a play: I've rehearsed and rehearsed, and now everything I know is coming together for a spot-on performance. I will carry this with me today and shine!
"It Runs in the Family"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Stelaaaaaahhhhhh!"
Courtroom scene in "To Kill a Mockingbird"

No comments: