Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bits of Yoga

I dream often of going to India to experience life in an ashram--even if just for a week. With the publication of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and the new book, Yoga Bitch by Suzanne Morrison (which I've yet to read, though will very soon), it's no wonder I want to experience the benefits that an intense yoga immersion can offer my body and soul.

But, I tell myself often: "When the kids move out and have families of their own." or "When we finally are financially stable." I know that it is not feasible to do that at the present time, but there are things that I can do to prepare myself for this eventual journey.

This morning, I meditated on these words: Health, peace, love, abundance. I spent about 7 minutes sitting quietly breathing in and out deeply saying these words in my mind with each inhale and exhale. These bits of yoga help to center me and relax my inner nervousness.

I may not have an hour each day to practice yoga, but I do bits of yoga each day. For example, every weekday morning, I do my yoga practice for 15 minutes. During the day, I may have a private moment in the bathroom to grab onto the sink and do a variation of downward dog. On the way home in the car, I grab my headrest and stretch my shoulders and breathe deeply.

I have found that these yoga bits can help me to regain my focus on good posture, health, peace, and abundance. I may not have extended periods of time to devote to my yoga practice, but I do have time each day to do just a bit of yoga to refresh myself.

No comments: